Christian Education at St. Matthews Lutheran Church
"How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!"
- Proverbs 16:16
Regardless of age, we can each continue to achieve personal growth in our discipleship through education. At St. Matthews, a number of opportunities exist to help educate all members of our congregation - so that our faith might grow as individuals through community. Together we all struggle to understand what it means to be faithfull…and human, but together we can find the guidance within scripture to better understand ourselves and God.
Regularly Scheduled Study & Discussion Groups
- Bible Study: Church members wishing to delve further into the teaching of the Bible are invited to join our weekly Bible Study each Tuesday at 10:00am.
- Sunday School: Our Sunday School for pre-school ages through fifth grade is offered September through May. Classes normally start the Sunday following Princeton's Homestead Festival. Classes begin at 10:15am and go to 11:15am. We also have a weekly Children's Sermon during worship throughout the year which is for this same age group.
- Middle-School Confirmation: Confirmation is on Sunday mornings for students typically in sixth through eighth. All grades meet in one class using multi-media. During the three year program there is a rotation where one year the emphasis is on The Old Testament, with the next year's focus on New Testament, and then a year on Luther's Small Catechism. The class meets from 10:15am to 11:15am on Sundays, September through May, normally starting the Sunday following Princeton's Homestead Festival. Once a month the class time is followed by a meal where the students' family is encourage and welcomed to an informal gathering and meal. Each month the class participates in an additional service or fellowship event. For students who complete the three year program, confirmation Sunday is held in what would typically be the students' freshman year on the last Sunday of October, which is Reformation Sunday.
- High School & Young Adult Group: This group has meetings in a relaxed atmosphere and welcomes all high school students and young adults. The group uses a variety of methods throughout the year to ponder and grow in faith, from using multi-media sources to reading books to discuss. The group has input on what they wish to use for material. This group also meets September through May on Sundays from 10:15am to 11:15am.
- Adult Faith Forum: This Faith Forum offers a variety of topics and study of Scripture. Typically, Forum will offer short courses that run three to seven weeks for each series, depending on the topic. Some topics are led by the pastor and other class may have a lay adult be the facilitator.
- Explorer Bible Study: An Ecumenical, Community led Bible Study group meets each Thursday at 7:00pm between September & May.
- Bureau County Senior Center Bible Study: A few times each year, Pastor Scott Schmidt takes a turn to lead a Bible Study at the Bureau County Senior Center. This Bible Study meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 2:00pm.
- Esther Circle: Esther Circle meets for fellowship and Bible Study on the third Thursday of each month between September & May.